Monday, March 30, 2009

Why is running so sexy?

I don't have the answer to that question, but it's true. There's something about running that's very cool and very sexy. I don't know if it's the incredible endorphin rush I get or the fact that I'm pushing my body to it's limits or the sweat that pours off of me when I run (okay, I didn't say I looked sexy, but I feel sexy). Maybe it's the incredible sense of accomplishment when I'm done. Whatever it is, I love running and the feeling I get from it.

When I was running 10-minute miles about two months ago I felt great. I was on top of my game. Then tragedy struck. A knee injury caused by running. It hurt like hell, and I didn't think it would ever heal. Finally, after two months of only doing the elliptical and the cross ramp for my cardio, the pain disappeared about a week ago.

Saturday I tested out my knee by walking at 4 mph and jogging at 5 mph, at two minute intervals for only twenty minutes. I didn't have any pain the next day.

This morning, I pushed myself a little more, by walking two minutes at 4.0 mph and then 18 minutes at 5.0 mph (incline of 1.0). Again, no pain and it almost felt easy. I wasn't even breathing very hard and my heart rate was a constant 134.

Wahoo! I feel like I'm back in the game. I finished up my cardio with 20 minutes on the elliptical and then weights for 40 minutes (including 3 sets of 8 military push ups on the Bosu ball--which pushes my heart rate right up to 138 in about a minute).

I really love running. It makes me feel...well, sexy and cool.

P.S. I can't wait for my weigh in on Wednesday, my new weigh in day. I think it's going to be good! That is, if I don't blow it between now and then (always a possibility with me).


9 comments:

Ida said...

You won't blow it. It's good that running makes you feel so good. That means that you will keep it up. Good job!

Swansong said...

Wow I am so very glad for you that your pain is gone and that you can get back to feeling "sexy" LOL More power to you!!! My husband runs but I don't think he would call it sexy hehe

IRJessica said...

Running is sexy... well, how I feel right after I do it... The running itself isnt sexy yet. Have you seen the Simpson's episode where the doctor is checking how long a wave will travel across the chub that is Homer's tummy?? It keeps going and going... You get the idea ; )

Graciela said...

I wish I liked running; I know it is a good way to get in shape quickly. Unfortunately, I've always felt so clunky running. I guess my bod is just not made for it (I'm more a plow horse than a race horse). Walking seems to work better for me.

So, I envy you (that you love it and it makes you happy), and I'm also glad your pain went away.

Good luck on your upcoming weigh in...I know you will do great!

Lia said...

Yay!! That makes me double happy because you got back to doing something that makes you feel so good, which will also help the motivation factor, AND it gives me hope because I have a tempermental knee and I want to run more, but I guess I just have to keep it light and easy for now. You sound to be doing well so the weigh in should go well. Keep up the focus and the positivity and you will succeed! Passion is the main ingredient in success, that is what we are learning here at hotel management school anyway!!

Kimberly said...

Running is sexy. I have been on a two-week hiatus from my Couch to 5K training, thanks to my wedding and honeymoon. But I am eager to get back into it. I love the way it makes me feel. Keep up the good work and welcome back to the world of runneres!

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

I can't wait to start running! It'll take some time, I don't think I've ever run a day in my life beyond gym glass. And then I thought I was dying!

Good luck on your upcoming WI!

antgirl said...

It's all the better to find something you love doing. Glad you found that. :)

Fatinah said...

I swear my posture is always better on the days that I run because I feel so good about myself after the run!

I'm glad you're back in the grove!!