Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 5: I fell off the horse

After all my "look at me, I'm doing this!", I messed up last night. Actually, it was officially Wednesday morning at 12:30 a.m. (Day 5).

I woke up and was ravenous. My positive attitude suddenly disappeared. After a 20-Point binge (which I calculated this morning), which included Light Redi-Whip straight out of the can, I went back to bed. It was almost like it was a bad dream (more like a nightmare) .

To make matters worse, when I went to the gym this morning I decided after 20 minutes to use my "free pass". This is something I came up with when I started Weight Watchers eighteen months ago.

My free pass works like this: if I really do not want to go workout, for whatever reason, I have a deal with myself. Go to the gym and after five minutes on a piece of cardio equipment if I simply can't stand being there, I give myself permission to leave.

It's a mind game I play with myself (I sound slightly psycho). It really works. I'm just like anyone else and have days when the thought of forcing my body to move is unbearable.

I have never used my "free pass", even though many times on my way to the gym I said I was going to turn around and go home after five minutes. This morning I used my free pass. I lasted 20 minutes and just couldn't do another minute. Between last night's late workout and the binge, my body wasn't up to it.

But all is not lost! I made up for the workout tonight by leaving work early at 3 p.m. and headed to the gym. I did 45 minutes of hard cardio on Sadie and 40 minutes of strength. I also ate very carefully today, and I'm right at 24 Points. My heart rate monitor said I burned 496 calories.

It's okay. I'm not perfect. I mess up sometimes. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. The real test is if I recover gracefully. So, as gracefully as I can, I'm climbing back up on that horse and I'll keep going.

9 comments:

Krista said...

I'm loving the positive spin this post ended with. That's the way to do it.

We all mess up, but the key is to never giving up. Yes, you had 4 (or 5) great days followed by one blip on the radar...maybe next time it will be 6 or 7 days before a blip...then 8 or 9. See where I'm going here?

Good job!

Roxie said...

No punishment, right? It's all about progress, not perfection.

You slipped up a bit, but you didn't let it last. You did the next right thing. Good for you.

Lia said...

Good mentality going on.

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

That's right Diana, WE ARE NOT PERFECT! Let us all remember this when we fall. Thanks for being an inspiration!

Fatinah said...

really Diana - where we will ultimately find success is exactly what you did today - you got RIGHT BACK AT IT!! Good for you! The mess ups are going to happen - it really is how we deal with them that make the difference!

bbubblyb said...

Yes, we all have days like that. Still sounds like you're doing well. Hang in there. Way to go on the positives.

antgirl said...

I understand the need to trick thyself. I have to play games like that with myself, too.

Great turn around on the attitude though. That's fab!

Ida said...

Great that you are getting back on that horse.

Pamela said...

You so inspire me, Diana! You've proved that even if a person messes up a bit, you can still get right back at it!

I think that your gym pass idea is a fantastic one. Most often the hardest part is just getting there or in getting going. Once you're there and doing it and still not into it, I think your body is trying to tell you something - and you listened. That's a fantastic thing to learn how to do.