Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 9: You think this is hard? You are NOT alone.


I wasn't even going to talk about this, but just in case there's someone else out there that's feeling hopeless about losing weight, that feels like they can't get this figured out, that sometimes it seems like it's just impossible to win at losing...well, you are NOT alone.

After my great loss yesterday, eating healthy all day, purposely staying out of the gym so my muscles and body could recover from several back to back intense workouts, I blew it last night.

I finished off the can of Reddiwip (and yes, it's really spelled like that, without an "h"). It was three cups of yummy goodness, equivalent to 18 Points. That made yesterday a 49-Point day. That leaves me with 4.5 weekly Points and nothing in the bank for Activity Points (so far). It's going to be a very long week.

It all started innocently enough. I was going to have some sugar-free strawberry jello with a couple tablespoons of Reddiwip. The Reddiwip is only 15 calories and 1 gram of fat per two tablespoons. The jello hadn't set up yet.

I should have just gone to bed and gone to sleep. I tried, I really did, but I couldn't stop thinking about the Reddiwip. At least this time I used a measuring cup. Three cups later I felt satisfied, although somewhat annoyed with myself.

My point of this post is that we all slip up and mess up. I seem to more than most, yet I can still lose weight. I know I'm going to make goal in spite of these continual slip ups.

It's really about how we handle these slip ups. Do we beat ourselves up? Do we just give up because it's so hard? Do we cry about our lot in life, that we're saddled with this unhealthy addiction to food? I felt all of that last night. I had the "poor me, this is so unfair, I'm such a screw up" attitude. You know the routine, you've probably done it to yourself a million times.

When I woke up this morning I felt a twinge of regret, but I know that today I will get right back on program, just like I do every time something like this happens. It's going to be a tough week, with a lot of hard work ahead of me, but I will not let this little lapse define my week or define me.

Yes, it's hard, and you're not alone if you feel like it's next to impossible to lose weight. Just remember, in spite of everything, it is possible.

14 comments:

*fitcetera* said...

it always starts innocently enough doesn't it? ;)
glad it didn't *whip* you!

Ida said...

Been there, done that. You are right, WE can do THIS!! I probably have the worse eating habits of anyone on the planet, and somehow I have managed to lose close to 80 pounds and I WILL lose the next 10 pounds, and maybe more. Thank you for being so encouraging.

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit said...

We've all lost that kind of fight before... don't let it get you down, Diana. You're doing great.

SunflowerDaisies said...

I've really had to work on this, b/c for me I tend to have incredible guilt (and hate myself) after eating too much or making a bad food decision. This probably stems from my experience with food growing up, in that my mom would chew me out, and I'd feel guilty about it. So, it's just continued into my adulthood. Since June, I've lost approx 20 pounds, but then just today I was looking at my legs, and still seeing the fat on them that disgusted me. But I have to tell myself, that "I've lost 20 pounds," and that's something that I should be encouraged and proud of. I guess it's just how you look at it, and not letting your thoughts control you.

antgirl said...

You need some lead shielding for that Reddi Wip is all Supergirl. :) We all have our kryptonite. But you have a spiffy outfit, a nice red cape and the strength of mountains. You will be victorious and look so stylish to boot.

Erin Huggins said...

All whip out lol. I love to put some whip on top of my carrot muffin with cherry on top yummy.

Emmett said...

Wow! I agree completely, we all have little slip ups and sometimes big slip ups, but if we take one step back and two steps forward most of the time, we will be winning the battle. This post reminded me, of my week and my weekend. I think I will mention it in my blog.

Deniz said...

You are so right, Diana. Yes, we all slip up occasionally (I'm struggling with a bad day at work today so this is SO timely) but we can sort ourselves out without beating ourselves up for a week. Stuff ups don't define us - but our successes do.

Emmett hits the nail squarely on the head with "if we take one step back and two steps forward most of the time, we will be winning the battle".

As to the Reddiwip - sounds like, even at 15 cals per squidge, it's a food to treat with extreme caution ;-)

Miz said...

SOOOOOOOOO trite but I do always remind myself (with this. with all goals.) it is a marathon and not a sprint.

Im goona accidentally veer off path--I just need to work to get back on.

bbubblyb said...

Yes, I've sure been there, done that. It is about just getting back on the wagon and moving forward though. Believing in ourselves is the key and it sounds like you do believe in yourself *hugs*.

Andrea said...

I finally found your blog! Yay! :)
I wanted to tell you that I couldn't agree more with what you said! I had a realization a couple weeks ago. That I believe in myself these days where I didn't before. This weight loss journey hasn't been easy in the slightest. It still seems to be challenging. But I am SO glad that I started on it. I'll complete my journey, and I don't care how long it takes!
Thanks for this post!

Trish said...

+sigh+
Thank you..that is where I am AGAIN!

mr. nonis said...

I totally hear you! For me, there's always that time where I either control myself, or I give in to temptation. Love it, and hate myself.

I love your perspective on the slip-ups we all have!

Quix said...

Just found your blog and totally bookmarking it! The thing I always try to remember is that one day of screwing up, no matter HOW bad it is, is such a miniscule blip on the radar in our marathon (yay for the wise Miz) to healthy living/goal weight/etc.