Friday, January 1, 2010

Doing what I know best, resolution #3

Resolution #3 is Lose Weight. Easy peasy, right? I've done it before, many times over the years. The problem is really two-fold: losing the weight is only half the battle, keeping off the lost weight is part two of the battle. Part two is where I always struggle. Not that losing weight in the first place is easy, it's not, but maintaining the loss, now there's a real challenge.

I've been watching my weight creep up the last few months, now I'm 22 pounds above my lowest weigh-in last year. I have all kinds of excuses but none of them matter. What matters is where I am right now.

How am I going to get "there" from "here"? Here being 178 pounds and there being 145pounds (my new goal weight). That's 33 pounds of fat that I need to lose.

1. Journal. I know it sounds easy and it is easy. It's also a big old pain in the butt, but at the same time, it's a necessary evil. Journal and lose weight, don't journal and gain weight. Hmmm...which shall I chose?

2. Back to the Weight Watcher meetings. Tomorrow I'll be back, along with the multitudes. I'm dreading the official weighin, but it is what it is.

3. Actively try to figure out what is wrong with me. I have food issues, and I don't know why. I do know I'm not normal when it comes to food. I don't look at food as sustenance, but as pleasure, which is a totally screwed up view of food.

I'm reading a new book, The end of overeating. It talks about "hyereating" and I totally get what the author is talking about. Not everyone can relate, but I do. I can't wait to get to the Food Rehab section. Maybe I'll find some answers.



That's just a start. I have a long way to go to get this figure out. I thought I knew it all, when actually, I know practically nothing.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Catching up on my blog reading. I swear you are my West Coast Soul Sister! I could have written either one of these blogs. Even though my dh isn't a hoarder he and I had a conversation yesterday about doing a good Spring Cleaning. We've been in our house 4 years now, if we haven't looked at it/used it, it's going to Goodwill or the dump! I agree that all the other stuff in our lives affects our weight. I hope you are able to figure things out. Marriage is freaking hard!

I too wrote down every single bite yesterday, even the Hershey Kisses that I shouldn't have eaten. We have to face reality right?

Looking forward to sharing 2010 with you. I hope we both are able to figure it all out.

Natalia said...

I agree with the whole first paragraph! Smart thoughts. About the book - do you recommend it? I have a "screwed up" view of food too, like you say. Sometimes, even if I don't necessarily love the food, I'll still eat it just because it's something I shouldn't eat (like cake or ice-cream). But you're taking the right steps forward! keep it up!

Deb said...

I don't think it's screwed up to view food as pleasurable. I think we should enjoy our food. When we use it to mask our feeling or stuff things down, that's screwed up. (I can say this cuz I do it).

But I don't think we should take all the joy and pleasure out of food. It's part of the human experience.

Good luck to you in 2010. You have some really great goals and I wish you all the best with them. Let's make this our year!

Anonymous said...

Oh Diana, I can relate to so many things that you write about! I recently bought the book entitled Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? by Peter Walsh. I've just started reading it but it makes so much sense!

My husband and I have spent the past few days cleaning, throwing things out, shredding, etc. It is so freeing! I feel lighter already! :)

I would like to lose about 15 pounds and I feel like I have a nice start to the new year. I felt so energized today when I walked and jogged at the gym. Here's to a great "less is more" 2010!

Julie

Jenny S said...

You are still a machine who can work out like nobody's business. I'm sure those extra pounds are just some holiday and stress stuff... you'll get them off in no time! I can't wait to read about your sucess this year!

lindalou said...

thanks diana for commenting at my new site
I can do it.

i appreciate if you will add me to your blogroll.

bbubblyb said...

Maybe give maintenance a try now so you don't have to focus as much on the food. I know you will figure it out. Maybe give therapy another try too. I know it's helped me grately.

AHA - Aware Halt Action

Weight this morning:  171.6  Weight Jan. 1, 2017:  222.0 Weight lost this year: 50.4 Goal: 155 I listen to a lot of weight loss podcast...