Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kundalini Yoga...no thanks

It turns out I kind of hate Kundalini Yoga. This is what I hate: the chanting words that I don't know what they mean and I can't pronounce. The weird poses that hurt my ankle bones. The breathing. Oh my God!...the breathing by protruding my belly button when I breathe out makes me light headed dizzy. I hate all of it.

At first it seemed kind of nice. It seemed comforting, relaxing in the yoga studio. The lights were dimmed, the soft Indian music, everyone spoke in whispers. We had a really pretty lady Indian yoga instructor. Then she told us to close our eyes and she started the chanting thing.

She'd given us a paper with the mantra. I couldn't prounce the words. I couldn't get down the sing-song chanting thing she was doing. It felt weird and uncomfortable. I kept wondering what the words meant.

AD GURAY NAMEH, JUGAD GURAY NAMEH,
SAT GURAY NAMEH, SIRI GURU DEVAY NAMEH

I looked it on Google. The above mantra means:

This is the Mangala Charn Mantra, and is chanted for protection. It surroundsthe magnetic field with protective light, and means "I bow to the primal Guru (guiding consciousness who takes us to God-Realization), I bow to wisdom through the ages, I bow to True Wisdom, I bow to the great, unseen wisdom."

This just isn't for me. I have three more classes but I have no interest in going. It seems like a total waste of time.

I've tried the hot yoga, you might remember my post on that one. I'd rather have my eyes poked out with a hot stick than go through that torture again.

The only thing left to try is good old Hatha Yoga. There's a cute little studio down the street from where I live. They have a good reputation so I think I'll give them a try. I don't consider yoga exercise. I think of it more of as mental calming and relaxation. I could use some of that in my life so I'm willing to give it one last try. It can't be any worse than the last two yogas I've tried.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do yoga everyday. I recommend finding a Power Vinyasa Class. Power Vinyasa will combine cardio, stretching, balancing and resisitance. No chanting either.

I personally don't like Hatha as it doesn't have a cardio element.

BTW, I enjoy your blog.

jane

clickmom said...

I am strong as a horse but can barely bend over and touch my toes. I fear yoga. Good luck!

antgirl said...

Yoga has made me more supple. My favorite is a combination of pilates and yoga, so it's not straight forward yoga. Hope you find what you seek.

I left you awards[s] on my blog. Take what you like. :)

Helen said...

As I was reading, before you said it, I was thinking, "she should try Hatha Yoga." It's relaxing and meditative plus you get really good and stretched out. Good for our tired old muscles and bones, you know?

Rettakat said...

I had no idea there were even that many variations of yoga! This is interesting to follow your experiences, though I am sorry they have been uncomfortable. I commend you for being determined to find the right fit for YOU!
Loretta
=^..^=

Kyle Gershman said...

My wife would agree with you on Bikram (Hot) yoga. She went for a few sessions to keep her sister busy, but just doesn't enjoy it.

She has been practicing Hatha yoga for a few years now.

It is a worthy pursuit and can actually be a "workout" depending on how demanding the pose is. For example, holding downward dog for awhile can be pretty strenuous.

Good luck on your yoga journey!

Natalia said...

Hatha yoga is the only one I've done, and it's not half bad. :)

Ida said...

I can't see me doing anything that required me to chant and I'd NEVER bow down to a guru (I only ow down to the one true God, Jehovah. But you know that.) Because of that I've never gotten into Yoga. I hope you find what you are searching for, my friend.

ShellyD said...

I love Vinyasa Flow Yoga and try and do it twice a week at gym.

Good luck with finding something suitable for you.

Mich

bbubblyb said...

Last time I did yoga I was about 270 lbs so maybe I would like it better now. Back then though NO WAY but yet I kept going back every Thursday lol. I must admit it made me very flexible. I guess you and yoga is like me and running you keep feeling like you should be able to do it and like it lol. Good luck with the Hatha yoga if you try it.

Green Tea said...

Nice post, thanks for sharing this wonderful and useful information with us.

Green Tea Weight Loss

Deniz said...

When I stopped doing yoga it was because I missed my old yoga teacher (a practical lady who didn't stress the spiritual side too much). I hated it when she retired and was replaced by a woman with a very different outlook!

So, for a 'being in touch with your body' alternative, have a think about Tai Chi or, better yet, Chi Kung. Again, it'll depend on the tutor, but it might be worth a look.

Have a brilliant day!

Anonymous said...

Really enjoy your blog. I can relate to alot of what you struggle with. Especially the night eating. That is my down fall. I can be perfect until late in the evening......

Care Info said...

Yoga may be more effective than standard treatment in reducing chronic low back pain in minority populations, according to new study.
Thanks for sharing this kind of information

gurly said...

i found your blog on google.. Im really impressed with the topics you have..
Ya, Exercise is very important in person's life in order to be physically fit and have a good health. One of this exercise which help us to be physically fit is the yoga. Exercise is one of the besty weapon also against illnesses and depression.


yoga for beginners

gurly said...

i found your blog on google.. Im really impressed with the topics you have..
Ya, Exercise is very important in person's life in order to be physically fit and have a good health. One of this exercise which help us to be physically fit is the yoga. Exercise is one of the besty weapon also against illnesses and depression.


yoga for beginners

Jay Kinfolk said...

yoga has did wonders for it makes me feel alot better mentally and physically I use to just do a squat workout routine
and the Venus Factor

I made my 10% lost today!

Since January 9, 2017 I've lost 21.4 pounds, 10% of my body weight. I feel like I've found the secret to life. I haven't poste...