Thursday, January 14, 2010

On the seventh day...


Today is my seventh binge-free day. It's a miracle.

I've eaten within my Points limit and tracked every bite.

It's been months since I've had a week like this one.

It wasn't a white-knuckle week like the weeks I've had in the past several months. I didn't have horrible cravings where I wanted to eat all the time. The cravings are gone. Honestly, it feels like a miracle.

These are things I think help make this a good week :

1.) I changed what I'm eating. I'm avoiding as many processed foods as possible and eating as many of the "filling" foods as possible. I've broken off my relationship with Weight Watchers ice cream bars, Skinny Cows and Dreyer's fruit bars. They are no longer my friends and are not welcome in my home.

2. ) I've tracked all my food in the online Weight Watcher journal. My Weight Watcher leader told us last week that is the number one thing that will make a difference in your weight loss.

3.) I've been eating a lot of the what Weight Watcher calls filling foods. The ones that have the little green diamonds next to them in the food tracker. These are whole grains, whole foods, not processed junk. These foods make me feel fuller for a longer period of time. I realize I just said this in #1 but I can't emphasize it enough. This has changed my life.

4. ) As much as this gives me a big pain in the butt, I've been following the Healthy Eight Eating Guidelines. I save the healthy oil and at least one dairy to have with my evening meal. This helps satisfy me and keep me full throughout the evening.

5. ) The absolutely amazing support of the blogging community. Without you guys, I'm sure I would have totally given up a long time ago. You make a huge difference in my life. I can't even begin to thank you for all your support and constantly cheering me on.

6. ) You knew this one was coming...."The end of overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite" by David Kessler, MD. The cognitive behavioral therapy in this book has worked wonders for me. I know it won't work for everyone, but I guess I found my magic bullet. Okay, it's not really magic. I have to do all the work, but it provides me the tools to use to avoid binging and overeating.

Learning to say "no" to myself is something I didn't even think was possible.

I realize it's only been seven days, but I feel full of hope and excitement for what the future holds. I don't fear it anymore. I will not wind up a contestant on the Biggest Loser.

The guidelines (in case you forget them):

5 servings of fruits & veggies
2 servings of milk products - 3 servings if you're over 50
6 glasses of "liquids"
2 tsp healthy oils
1-2 servings of lean protein
1 multivitamin a day
Choose Whole Grains when possible
At least 30 minutes of activity a day most days of the week
Limit sugar and alcohol

20 comments:

Jenny S said...

Wow! That's great! How exciting to have gone a full 7 days and feel so very much IN control! I'm proud of you, you're doin awesome!

Deniz said...

Wonderful news. Well done you - time for a hearty pat on the back and a suitable reward - a nice new nail varnish with another crazy name maybe?

Miz said...

GO YOU!
one day at a time.
With all things in (my) life.

Carla

Marisa (Loser for Life) said...

Yay, Diana! You are doing FANTASTIC!!!

Beth said...

I want what you have! I'll have to work to get it.

Roxie said...

I'm so happy for you! Awesome post. Sounds like you've found something that you can live with. BTW, I agree with you on what I call "frankenfoods" not being your friend. I believe they just enhance cravings - that's been my experience, anyway.

Natalia said...

That's so great - congratulations! I need to learn to say no to myself. See my last post and you'll see why. :( But seven days without binging is fantastic. Good job!

Sandra said...

Wow Diana, that's great to read! Glad you had such a great week!
Good job.

AP said...

yay! these are some awesome changes!

Tony the Pink Panda said...

Nice work controlling the urge to binge. Seven days is a great start.

Helen said...

Hurray for 7 solid days!

spunkysuzi said...

What a great week you have had :)

Ron said...

Congrats on a great week Diana, Keep at it and you know you will see the results you are looking for.

seattlerunnergirl said...

Congratulations, Diana! It's amazing the difference one GREAT week can have, isn't it? I am finding similar success using cognitive behavioral techniques from a different book. It's crazy how much power your mind really has! Keep up the great work and congrats again.

Ida said...

I am so proud of you Diana. It is good to hear you being positive again, after all the negativism you went through for a while. YOU WILL BE REACHING YOUR GOAL SOON! AND you will stay there for a long, long time!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! It was great to read the post. Keep up the good work! You are a great inspiration.

Donna

Jackie Callahan said...

Thanks so much for sharing, and congratultions! I am now three days without a binge and I thank you! Your blog inspired me to keep a food journal, which then led to my keeping track of the calories.
I feel so much better since I am being held accountable for everything I eat. It makes me think twice before I act, and knowing I have to write it down, helps me to make better choices. I feel great! Being free of bingeing makes me feel much more centered. So, thank you!

Carrieheff said...

That is so great. What do you have when want something sweet at night after dinner? I eat a lot of the WW desserts and can't think of a better replacement. What satisfies your sweet tooth now?

Kelly! said...

Diana! Im so happy for you!! It's amazing what following the weight watcher rules will do haha sadly youre one of the amazing people that are doing it perfect! Im going to try extra hard to track this week on the etools. Again, im so happy for you, you go girl! :D

Lyn said...

Seven days! Very good! It gets easier with each passing day, I think. The longer you go without bingeing, the less you want it.

Your plan looks great :)

I made my 10% lost today!

Since January 9, 2017 I've lost 21.4 pounds, 10% of my body weight. I feel like I've found the secret to life. I haven't poste...