Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oops



Oops. I'm not talking about an object-oriented programming system. I'm talking about acknowledging a minor mistake.

Yes, I had an "oops" last night. It involved cheese. An almond butter and jam sandwich. Cold cereal with milk.

The cheese is the same cheese from New Year's Eve that I had requested my husband hide from me. He hid it in the bottom drawer of the fridge in the garage. It was out of sight and out of mind and it didn't haunt me...until yesterday.

Yesterday my cruel and evil loving husband had a plate of cheese and crackers for a snack. He even asked me if I'd like some too, and went on to tell me how great the Dubliner Irish cheese from Costco tasted. I know this is unintentional cruelty. He knows I like cheese. What he doesn't know is that I LOVE cheese. That I could eat an entire block of the Dubliner Irish cheese if he wasn't looking.

I had been perfect on my eating all day. I had a nice dinner and thought I was fine. We went to bed. I couldn't sleep. At midnight I got up and read for a while. I had a healthy snack of fruit and yogurt. 

Then I started thinking about the cheese. I couldn't seem to use any of my newly learned skills to turn off the thought process. It was like I was possessed.

After the cheese I had an almond butter and Huckleberry jam sandwich on two slices of Dave's Killer Bread.

After the sandwich I had two large bowls of Kashi Honey Toasted Oat cereal with ice cold milk.

Next was remorse, sadness, sleep.

This morning I'm better. It was merely a blip on my radar, a minor mistake.

I woke up late and had a healthy breakfast. We're going to the gym in the next hour where I will literally try to work my ass off (lower body workout today).

Normally I would hate myself right now, feel defeated and hopeless. Although I'm not thrilled with my behavior last night, I'm not surprised by it either. I can't expect to change a lifetime of bad habits in one week. That would be a ridiculous thinking. However, it's one slip in eight days. Not bad.

There will be more slips in my life. I'm not perfect. I'm human and flawed. Normal people have "oops" moments, but they recover and move on. I'm moving on.

9 comments:

Roxie said...

Tis merely a blip, as you described. One slip in eight days is wonderful progress. And your attitude about it is spot on. I hope you enjoyed your workout and your Sunday.

PS - I adore that cheese, too!

Jackie Callahan said...

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." Confucius
You are an inspiration either way! Thanks, Jackie

bbubblyb said...

SO true just a blip and you've moved on. It really is about not letting it get you down. You've had a terrific week.

If you're anything like me sometimes in the back of my mind I either self sabotage my good work or I reward myself with food. It still happens to me from time to time and a sometimes I don't even realize what I'm doing.

This all really is a process and I've found the longer I'm on this journey the less it happens.

Here's to a great week.

Jenny S said...

Love your oops... and yes, it's just a tiny blip. It's wonderful that you're okay with it! Yay for victories.

Kyle Gershman said...

create ojbect mistake;
if mistake.made() = true;
{ mistake.forgive();
mistake.forget();
mistake.recover());

Only someone who would reference Objected Oriented Programming would appreciate this!

Here comes a tech inspirations...it is all in our METHODS executed by the mind that we succeed.

What a Splurge said...

When I have an oops, it usually involves cheese.

Ida said...

I am glad you aren't beating yourself up over this. We will persevere.

Pink Panda said...

You still had a 7 pound loss which is great. Little slip ups won't hurt you in the long run.

seattlerunnergirl said...

Diana, GREAT job getting right back on track. Beck mentions in her book that successful dieters and maintainers aren't perfect - they just get RIGHT back on track when they make a mistake. WTG!