Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tracking Thursday AND following the rules

Yesterday I ate healthy all day and tracked every bite. I wasn't paying much attention to how many points I was accumulating because my meals were what I normally eat, so I was sure it was all good.

When I got home I logged on to the online tracker to see how many Points I had left for dinner. I was shocked to see I'd already eaten 21.5 Points for my breakfast, lunch and two snacks. My max is 21 with some weeklies, depending on how hungry I am. I couldn't believe I'd eaten all my Points. I went back over every item, but it was all correct.

I evaluated what I'd eaten all day and realized I'd been adding in a few little things here and there that really added up. They seemed harmless at the time, but they're why I haven't been losing weight (and slowly gaining).

Sugar-free creamer in my coffee when I use to always drink it black. Hummus with my raw vegetables when I always ate my afternoon snack of raw vegetables plain. A few extra pieces of fruit, when I was limiting fruit to a maximum of three a day. Cutting back my vegetables from five servings a day to two or three. I wasn't drinking my non-fat milk or eating my healthy oil.

The bottom line:  I haven't really been following the Weight Watcher plan. I've been squandering my Points.

Just like I budget money to pay the mortgage, the car payment and the utility bills, I need to budget to make sure I get in my healthy oil and dairy. If I have to cut out the hummus so I can have a cup of milk and a yogurt, it's what I have to do.

Today I'm focusing on tracking, but also following the healthy eating guidelines. I know that's one of the keys to successfully losing weight. I've accepted exercise as part of my life. Now I need to follow through on the healthy eating and limiting my food.

When I saw I'd already eaten 21.5 Points by 6pm I considered skipping dinner, instead I had dinner and some fruit. It was about 8 Points, but I thought that was better than starving.

Today will be better, I promise. Tracking and following the rules.

16 comments:

Weighting Around said...

Those little things really do add up, don't they. I've gotten out of the habit of tracking but you make me realize it is time to be more careful and follow those healthy food guidelines. Thanks for the wake up call!

Helen said...

Does WW still have that saying about watching out for BLT's? (Bites, Licks, Tastes). It does all add up. I really have to watch it around the time I'm cooking dinner because I'm hungry but the food isn't ready and it's easy for me to scoop the cottage cheese out of the fridge and the next thing I've eaten half a cup instead of that one spoonful. I think you were right to eat your dinner and go on. Awareness of what happened yesterday will definitely make today better for you!

Rettakat said...

That's great that you pin-pointed the problem, and were honest with yourself. Now that you are aware, you are fixing it. :-)
Loretta
=^..^=

Roxie said...

It is amazing how those little things add up. I basically had the same revelation today myself. I was looking at the calorie calculator and realized I needed to cut back to some basic stuff and quit "adding to" just because I can. Yes, it would taste better with a little of that, but it just ups the calorie count too much. Sigh.

Kyle Gershman said...

I've only ever been successful when I've been religious about my caloric tracking. It may have to be that way even when I hit normal weight levels. Who says it can't be a lifestyle?

Pamela said...

As the others said, it truly is amazing how quickly those little things add up. I know that I need to watch things like that and now that I'm back on track, I need to work on meeting those healthy guidelines, too. I hope you're having a good Thursday!

Linda said...

It's funny about the little things we think are harmless. They add up! I hate to see my tracker fill up so much! I am much more aware of what I am eating when I use that thing. When I use that tracker and plan my food, I am satisfied and make good choices.

Kristina said...

It adds up quick doesnt it? My WW friend says i have to write down everything I eat, lick or touch to my lips! lol You can do it......you know it! I like the new look of your blog too!

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

Skipping a meal is an easy way to call out the binge monster! It's always shocking to see how much we really eat when we've slacked on tracking eh? I'm really scared to be without access to mine!

Miz said...

not to be toooo suzie sunshine but IMO simply tracking and being an informed consumer/eater is a big step on the healthy living path, Diana.

antgirl said...

I find I feel more satisfied when I eat all my food groups properly, too.

funny what creeps in, huh?

Kristina said...

I gave you an award over at my blog!

Jaynie Martin said...

ive started tracking my foods more consistantly and its shown ive lost 5lbs this week (think prob week and 1/2) but i had been up and down yo yo'ing on a 2lb up or down its amazing how a little thing can add those extra points and zoooooom up goes the weight glad your back on track and hoping i can stay here to :) good luck xxx

Carrieheff said...

My leader calls that "BLT's" Bite, Licks and Tastes. She stresses that you need to track everything that you eat or drink. It's kind of a pain, but she says that most people who are stuck that look at their journals realize the same thing you did. Thanks for the reminder though. It's so easy to let all those little things add up. Good for you for realizing it and correcting it!

Graciela said...

Lately, I've been allowing myself to eat a donut (cursed things) whenever I'm at a meeting where they have treats. Well, that's okay very occasionally, but lately I've been at a lot of meetings! :)

One donut is 400-500 calories! Not only that, 500 calories of junk is a big "unhealthy" bite into my allotted calories, and takes away from the healthy things I SHOULD be eating. A few donuts (or other treats) a week definitely add up to a weight gain.

Awareness is power...Thanks for the reminder!

azzurra said...

Free Acai Berry trial really worths, you should try it too

AHA - Aware Halt Action

Weight this morning:  171.6  Weight Jan. 1, 2017:  222.0 Weight lost this year: 50.4 Goal: 155 I listen to a lot of weight loss podcast...