Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lab results from the thyroid biopsy

No thyroid cancer! Woohoo!

I was pretty sure I didn't have thyroid cancer. Everything I read indicated it would be okay, 95% of these nodules are benign (but I had several), and if the thyroid is functioning properly (mine is fine) then there's even less chance of cancer.

When my doctor called today to give me the results I was a little nervous. Because I thought the technician that did my ultrasound that is deaf but sweet as can be, told me, or I thought she told me, that they would mail the results if it was good news and call me if it was bad news. So when I got the call I had a mini-panic attack and thought the call meant bad news.

It's all good and I guess I shall live a little longer. At least I don't have thyroid cancer which is definitely a good thing.

The only thing that concerns me now is seeing the endocrinologist. Since I have so many nodules on my thyroid there's some medication they want to give me to help stop them from growing and possibly shrink them. If they continue to grow they could become cancerous, or I could wind up with a big, ugly goiter on my neck (wouldn't that just suck?).

I've worked to hard to be off of any kind of medication, except my asthma meds (Advair), but I rarely even use it anymore. I've been off my blood pressure medicine for over a year. Oh well, I guess it's just part of life, getting older and things start going haywire. Even if I do have to take thyroid medication for the nodules it would be better than cancer or an ugly goiter growing out the side of my neck. Things could be worse.

12 comments:

✯FiTCETERA✯ said...

AND even IF it was thyroid cancer, it's very slow growing as a rule and most people do not die from it. Look at me! 4 x and I'm STILL here! :D

I'm very happy to hear that you don't have it, Diana! What a relief for you! My endo told me that at autopsy exams many people have nodules on their thyroids without ever having known about them.

Don't worry about the meds. If you need them, you need them. No biggie.

Roxie said...

This is not medical advice. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I received the same advice about the meds about twenty years ago. I opted to just "watch" for signs of goiter growth. So far, I've got no increase in size. The prescribed treatment may be different twenty years later, but they wanted to essentially kill my functioning thyroid (which they thought might feed with growth) with the meds and give me synthetic. So far, I'm happy with my decision. I figure if it starts to grow, I can change my mind at that time. YMMV

And yay, yay, yay for the all clear signal.

Ron said...

Great news, so happy to hear this. If the Meds will help, definately do them!

Anonymous said...

Phew! No cancer is great news! I hear you on the meds. I'm weaning off all of mine (except a baby aspirin) and some melatonin-SR. It sort of becomes a point of pride, maybe a tiny bit of false pride on my part, to stop forking over so much money to the pharmaceutical companies if I don't HAVE to. :-) Have a super day!

Helen said...

I think you're going to need more tests and bloodwork done before YOU makes a final decision. Lost of people have those nodules, some don't even know it. Explore every option!! (But I know you will 'cause you're a smart lady.)

Carrieheff said...

My OB did the same thing. Made it a point to tell me that he'd only call if there was an issue with the baby and then called to say everything was good. For a second there I was really scared which doesn't sound like a long time but sure feels like it!
Thank God you are healthy! I know it sucks to have to take another medication, but at least this is pretty much out of your control. It's not something you have to take because you are eating too much or not exercising enough.

bbubblyb said...

Sooo happy to hear everything is ok. Yea the whole doctor calling thing is a bit unnerving.

Katie J said...

Whew! What a relief that must have been.

My suggestion is to check out ALL your options and then make a decision on how you want to treat it. We are all so different...

Kyle Gershman said...

Certainly good news! I also abhor medications unless critically necessary...hopefully you'll find a way through all of this...any naturopathic options?

M Pax said...

Wooot! That is good news.

I only take Advil when necessary and black cohosh. I'm anti meds, too. If I had to, I would. But I'd prefer not.

I've only had to take Zyrtec 2x so far this spring. Must be adjusting to life on the arid side.

Miz said...

so so so happy to hear the good news.


Carla

Deb said...

Good news!

I made my 10% lost today!

Since January 9, 2017 I've lost 21.4 pounds, 10% of my body weight. I feel like I've found the secret to life. I haven't poste...