Saturday, October 2, 2010

The non-weight loss goals

I'm trying not to put all my attention on my weight loss efforts because, well, because it makes me nuts. Totally and absolutely nuts. Not to mention it's as boring as watching paint dry.

For three years it's been my focus. Oh heck, it's been my focus for the past forty plus years. Off and on for all those years I worried about my weight. I'm still concerned about it, but I can't give it 100% of my attention 100% of the time.

The two non-weight loss goals for the week were knitting and reading. It turns out I love both! I knew I loved reading, but the knitting is a bit of a surprise to me.

The knitting is so much more rewarding than I remember. It's fun to actually create something useful with my own two hands. Sadly though, I was half-way done with the scarf when I realized there was a problem. Way back on about row four (I was on row fifty) it appeared I had dropped a stitch and there was a hole in my scarf! I counted the stitches and sure as anything I only had eleven on the needle, I was suppose to have twelve. I don't know how I didn't notice it before but I noticed it this morning. I had to rip the entire thing out and start over. Oh well.

The book I'm reading is one that I can't put down, and it's not about diet or exercise or intuitive eating. It's completely fictional, a novel. What a "novel" idea for me. The last few books I read that weren't health related were non-fiction murder stories by Ann Rule. I decided it was time to branch out on my reading and read something a.) non-fiction and b.) non-violent.

The book is "Such A Pretty Face" by Cathy Lamb. It's a story about a 32-year old woman that has lost 170 pounds through bariatric surgery. It's not about the weight loss or the surgery, it's about her life afterwards, and her crazy family, as well as about her life that led up to her gaining 170 pounds. It's entertaining, funny as heck, and I'm loving it. In fact, I could barely put it down today. I finally had to force myself to set down the book, put on my workout clothes and now I'm just about ready to walk out the door for the gym.

Thank you
I want to thank each and every one you that leave comments on my blog. I've been really bad lately about visiting other blogs and leaving comments, which I fully intend to rectify this weekend. I just want you to know that I read every comment, and I'm amazed at the kindness and consideration of strangers. But you aren't strangers to me at all. You're real people, and I greatly appreciate your comments. Your encouragement and your kind words mean the world to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I also crave comments! There are days when I just need to know that someone is out there... I get so busy that I don't have the energy to visit with 3D people... so I have to count on my blogger babes to carry me through. Great non-weight loss goals... truly, you have to evolve in more ways than just physical.

Hugs! Heather

Potato Diva said...

Creativity is so important to me as well. I hand quilt in a quilting circle. The senior citizens (in their 80's) are fun and informative. I wish I had the follow through to do the quilting and piecing at home, but I don't yet.

congrats on the reading for fun.

bbubblyb said...

Diana, I just want to say I seldom feel I give you back what you give me and have given me all this time we've been here in blog world together. I appreciate all your kind words and great suggestions. I think we are so similar in so many ways.

You know I've said before we are at the same weight now and this is my goal weight. Maybe it's time you just sat tight for awhile. You know your body doesn't mind the size you are and when you are ready you can try for that last 20 lbs though I must say I don't think you need to. I know with the amount of weight training you do that you are full of muscle and muscle does weight a lot more than fat. I bet you're right in that window of body fat you should be or darn close.

I think it's great you've made goals that are not weight related. Maybe too you could think about physical goals. I know for me it's been what has kept me focused lately and I feel more at peace with food (though of course I still have my days).

I think Ron said it best to maybe just focus on eating healthy, non processed food and getting in the amount of exercise that feels comfortable to you.

I do agree with everyone that talked about all the stress you've been under with work. I'm sure that's a huge factor in your struggles lately.

Anne H made a statement like I hope your eating is spot on and peaceful. Doesn't that say it all about how we all want our eating to be. I wish that for you too.

Hugs my friend

tena said...

Great post! I've been crazy from too much diet focus, too. You seem to be on the right track. Now I want to get busy and knit something :)

Have a great week. I'd love to see your scarf when it's done.

Wittawat Wongruang said...

Hi, you make good point about Fat Loss Diet I never thought of that. Now – If any of you are struggling with Fat Loss Diet Reviews, then I recommend you check out WEIGHT LOSS REVEIW. The is a thorough review on it here >>besttheweightloss.blogspot.com<< . I hope that helps some of you here at WEIGHT LOSS REVEIW!

I made my 10% lost today!

Since January 9, 2017 I've lost 21.4 pounds, 10% of my body weight. I feel like I've found the secret to life. I haven't poste...