Thursday, January 6, 2011

A return to sanity

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever make peace with food. Today was suppose to be day number four of eating 1200 calories. My average calories for the previous three days was 1294 a day, not quite my 1200 goal.

My energy level was zero when the alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. today, my normal time to get up and head out to the gym before work. This morning I just couldn't do it. I was so tired that I shut off the alarm and went back to sleep.

When I finally woke up at 7:30 a.m. my husband had already left for work. I still felt like I couldn't get out of bed. I decided to stay home from work. I was so tired that even getting ready for work sounded like more than I could do. After two days back from a 25-day vacation I took a day off. I couldn't help it. My body and mind weren't cooperating.

I ate a healthy breakfast and then went right back to bed. I didn't get up until 11 a.m. When I finally got up I was still exhausted. I felt like I couldn't move.

I realized that although the 1200 calories a day plan works for a lot of people for quick weight loss, it's just not right for me. I'm not criticizing the plan all. I'm just not willing to feel extremely hungry, tired and weak all the time. To be really honest, if I had to live like this the rest of my life I think I'd rather not live.

Now what?
I need to do something since I really need to lose a minimum of 25 pounds (preferrably 35). The only logical thing is to go back to the Weight Watcher plan and follow it faithfully.

I still think it's the best weight loss plan out there. I've been reading the Getting Started book for the new plan (again).

Just for fun I'm still going to track my calories and Points for the rest of the month. I didn't track anything today because honestly, I was just to tired and I really didn't care about much of anything. I ate more than 1200 calories and I feel much better tonight. I'm not seeing stars when I stand up to quickly.

I want to keep my calories under 1500. If I track the Points and calories for a month, I can get a good idea of how the zero Point fruits are affecting my daily calorie count. Once I get an idea of how many fruits I can eat and still stay under 1500 calories, I'll keep that as a limit for myself.

I feel like for me, this is the sane thing todo.

10 comments:

midlife_swimmer said...

Sounds like a good choice. I think my metabolism is a major component of my weight loss journey and when I eat too few calories I get lethargic and sometimes stress or strain muscles. I much rather make sure I put in a lil more time releasing endorphins and as a rule I try to keep my calories around 1700. every body is different.

kristi said...

I eat around 1500 a day and exercise 5 days a week, I am losing but SLOWLY. I cannot do 1200, I would be sick from lack of energy!

Ron said...

Sounds like you have made a sensible solid decision!

Carrieheff said...

I so agree! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You KNOW what to do, you just have to do with (like the majority of people out there who are overweight) I'm glad you gave up on that 1200 calories a day diet. That's just not enough for you especially if you work out as much as you do.

Have you thought about getting a trainer for a session or two to see if they'd have other ideas on how you can ramp up your work out? I know that I think I'm working out really hard most of the time, but when I stick in a DVD and follow along, I tend to work much harder than on my own.

Roxie said...

Diana, I wish you good luck in finding something that works for you. Each of us are a bit different and what works for one may not work for another.

M Pax said...

1200 calories doesn't work for me either. You will still lose weight at under 1500 calories. If you're more comfortable and can stick to that, I think it's more important than quick results which you can't stick to.

All success on your renewed determination and new plan of attack. :)

Anonymous said...

Since this is for life, why does it matter how fast or slow you lose? Just a thought.

On the other hand, after reading Gary Taubes book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories," I lowered my carb intake and hunger went bye-bye. (I lost 100 lbs, and I'm over 50.) Taubes also has a new book out (something like "Why we Get Fat") that looks like a simplified version of his 1st book, which, admittedly, was quite a heavy read with lots of research analysis. It may be difficult for folks who don't have a firm background in research/science/health.

My concern with the WW free fruit idea is the connection between sugar and insulin. Yes there is fiber in fruit, but not enough to counterbalance the sugar or keep insulin from spiking, driving hunger UP UP UP.

Of course, not everyone's body reacts the same way! I'm basing this perspective on Taubes extensive research analysis and on my own experience. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Robin

Kelly! said...

I have to say Diana you are so inspiring because you choose your health over your weight. And some people don't know the difference and many don't care. It's so tempting to take the fast track but you're going to find a plan that works for you for life.

Elena said...

Congrats for the way you live your life. Healthy is million times better than weight loss.

Maude said...

We all have to decide for ourselves. It's not like you're going hog wild - you're upping by just a few hundred calories. Quality of life is more important than losing weight quickly.

I made my 10% lost today!

Since January 9, 2017 I've lost 21.4 pounds, 10% of my body weight. I feel like I've found the secret to life. I haven't poste...