What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Don't I look miserable? I tried to smile but honestly, I just want to cry.

I have a severe fracture of my scaphoid wrist bone. Only the most important bones in my wrist.

A full cast for three months...if I'm lucky. The alternative is surgery in a month if it's not healing properly. I don't like either option but I hate surgery.

Several of you suggested seeing a doctor after my bike accident. Since I was still having wrist pain I scheduled an appointment for this morning with an orthopedic surgeon. I actually saw three surgeons this morning. The first was a young intern, barely wet behind the ears, then the real doctor, then the #1 orthopedic surgeon in the area (at least that's what they told me), he just happen to be down to the Federal Way Clinic from the Seattle Virginia Mason Clinic. He's the one that made the diagnosis and had them put me in this miserable cast.

This is life I guess. Ironic because I love doing upper body workouts. Well, that's not going to happen for three months. I guess I'll focus on abs and lower body. My cardio will have to be walking. Lots and lots of walking.

Even worse than not being able to exercise my regular routine is that I can't type with my left hand. I type for a living, software development. Not good.

I just want to cry.

Before my day went to hell at the doctor's office, I weighed in at 188.4. That was a nice number to see (much better than 199.8 from two weeks ago). It's going to be a real battle to keep going with my weight loss with my arm out of commission, but I intend to keep up the good fight in spite of this setback with the cast.

Comments

Roxie said…
Oh, Diana, I am so sorry. I am, however, glad that you got it seen after. What an unfortunate turn of events. Sending good healing thoughts your way.
Helen said…
Oh my. At least your cast is a very pretty shade of pink! Hang in there.
Mer and Mo said…
I think I sort of see a smile there - the pink is cute you know. I fell years ago carrying a pie and the pie and my left foot did not make it. I was down for several months, but the good part was no surgery, totally followed doctors orders. I am hoping the best for you. Glad that you did have it checked out, I was worried there when your last post said you were still in pain. Big Hugs!!!!

MO
Dawn said…
I'm so sorry! I'm glad we nagged you to get it seen.
My daughter broke her scafoid dancing ( she piroetted in a circle and fell over her own foot)
We were told months, possible complications as scafoid a nasty bone to break but was straightforward and healed quite quickly with no problems after cast off. I'm sorry this has happened. really really sorry.
Dawn
Carrieheff said…
Oh man that sucks! You are just getting back on track. I guess you can use this time to find new lower body work outs that you like. I'm so sorry this happened!!
bbubblyb said…
Diana, I'm so sorry you broke your wrist but glad you found out now. I feel bad that I was complaining about no hand for a few weeks. I hope yours heals up quicker than the doctor said.
Oh, major bummer!!! Sorry, Diana. Gosh, I hope you can figure out exercise and your job for a bit here. I'm going to be really careful on my bike!

Hope you find a way to thrive the next 3 months!!!

(and congrats on your weight loss :-)
alex21 said…
You look gorgeous with the pink cast.Has your wrist tottally healed?Hope you feel better.

Popular posts from this blog

July 2, 2016 update

Best diets for 2016

High hopes for 2016