She's alive!

I'm still here and doing well. Or as well as one could expect for someone like me, which so many issues.

It was eight weeks ago today that I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, and seven weeks since I was told I had a very rare and aggressive form of cancer, uterine leiomyosarcoma, Stage IB. There isn't any chemo or radiation for this type of cancer. At Stage I since it usually doesn't respond well to either one. The treatment is just "wait and see". Even after surgery to remove the sarcoma, it will often metastasize into the lungs or liver within six to seventeen months 50% chance, maybe 40% if I look on the bright side.

It's been less than 48 hours since my second surgery to remove my remaining ovary. It was a laparscopic surgery and was suppose to take an hour. It took two hours and then seven hours in recovery because I was throwing up and in an incredible amount of pain. I found out later from my surgeon that she had a lot of trouble finding my remaining ovary. The scar tissue from my recent hysterectomy had wrapped around it so there was a lot of cutting away of tissue, which has resulted in a lot of pain.

I have five incisions in my abdomen, which indicates it was robotic laparscopic surgery. My surgeon specializes in robotics (although I forgot to ask her if she used robotics). I'd never heard of five incisions for laparscopic, I thought it was always three or four maximum. Not true for robotics, it's always five, and each of mine are an inch long. I also have an unusual amount of bruising at each incision site. Add in my six-inch vertical incision from my hysterectomy and my abdomen looks like it's been through hell.

I still feel very tired and sore. Extreme pain when getting out of or into bed or the recliner. Since this was a difficult surgery and involved a lot more cutting than expected, my surgeon suggested I stay on medical leave for two weeks, until June 17. The way I feel right now, I completely agree with her.

The most upsetting thing about the surgery was when I weighed myself yesterday. I had gained 14 pounds overnight! I was 197 the morning of the surgery and I was 211 the day after the surgery (on my home scales). I read online that this happens due to the gas and fluid retention, but 14 pounds overnight is pretty tough to take. I didn't weigh yesterday, but I'm really watching what I eat. My latest weight loss tool is MyFitnessPal app on my phone. I know tracking my food is extremely important.

I quit Weight Watchers. Since my favorite leader left, it's just not the same. I might go back some day, especially if I don't start losing weight soon. I've read that it can take up to two weeks to lose the water weight from laparscopic surgery.

The criminal trial for with my husband is suppose to happen this coming Tuesday, but I suspect it's going to be "continued" (delayed). At least that's what the prosecutor's office told me. I guess I'll find out next week, although I'd really like to get it over. 

Not much else going on in my life. Actually, there is something going on that I'm dying to post about, but it's probably best that I wait awhile. I mentioned it a couple of months ago, then I pulled the post. If you read that post, then that thing I talked about is going really well. :)

I rejoined the gym 2 1/2 weeks ago, and went five days each week. Of course now I've had a major setback in my exercise routine. For the next couple of weeks all I'm allowed to do is walk.

Comments

lindalou said…
missed you.
sorry about your recent health issues....you're going to do well.
remember the brain controls all things. keep your head in a positive place!!
Lyn said…
{{Diana}}. Don't you worry one bit about the weight gain. That is all fluid for your body to heal itself... not one ounce of that is fat! I cannot imagine the pain and struggle you have right now. You are in my prayers, warrior woman, and I wish I could be there in person to help. I am very glad your 'thing' is going well though! I remember.

I think about you often. Hugs.
Roxie said…
I'm glad to hear from you and glad that thing is going very well. I hope you heal up super quickly from this last round of surgery. Hugs.
Diana, I will hope and pray that you heal quickly from this surgery AND that the criminal trial is not continued...but even if it is, I know you'll get through it. I hope the "thing" you're not talking about is something that makes you happy. :)
ABBY said…
Glad to see your post and I hope things continue going well for you.
Michelle said…
Thank you for the update! I've been wondering how you're doing. I wish you all the best.
katty said…
Glad to know you're doing well! Happier to know there's a silver lining out there for you!
PJ Geek said…
Gaining that much weight and retaining it for a while after surgery is not uncommon. ( I'm a nurse and have seen patient's come out incredibly puffed up.) It has nothing to do with fat gain............Rest you body, soothe your soul, throw away the scale, seek joy . And I hope you find it.
Diandra said…
Glad you're here. If I don't hear (read) from you in some time, I start worrying. (Really. Weird, right?)

Forget about the scale at the moment. Focus on getting healthy. Eat healthy, talk to your doctor about when you may start exercising (or at least going for a walk) again and be good to yourself.
Carrieheff said…
YEAH so good to hear from you. I check for updates everyday so I was so happy to actually see one today. Yes, I remember what you talked about and was wondering what was going on in that area! Glad to know it's going well. SO happy for you. Take care of yourself and heal well and don't worry about the damn scale right now. Just get better and then get on the scale. You don't need the extra stress. (I am not saying don't eat healthy, I'm just saying don't get on the scale.)
Ida said…
I have missed you and was wondering how you are doing. I continue to lift you in prayer. May the Great Physician reach down and heal you. Glad the 'other thing' is going well. You deserve all the happiness you can get.
Deniz said…
Hi Diana
Yep, I do remember the pulled post and am really pleased things are going well. You need a bit of positivity right now.
On the op and pain front... oh boy! All I can do is send big Zen hugs and lots of sympathy. Take that medical leave and get yourself back to 'OK' before you even think about returning to the grind.
You do, as ever, inspire me - I wish I could tell you what an amazing lady you are (and have you believe me).
Hugs
Deniz
Betsey C. said…
Good to see a post from you! I hope you are comfortable today and that you heal up quickly.
Anonymous said…
glad you checked. Praying for you.
Vanessa said…
Hi Diane, just found your blog a few days ago and very inspired by your journey and your feisty spirit! Hope you are doing well. Sending hugs.
jinxxxygirl said…
So glad things seem to be going well for you...all things....Have you in my thoughts Diana......and wish you well......Hugs! deb
Ron said…
Just take care of yourself Diane,,don't rush anything!
Sistergirl said…
Oh My, The Lord is so good. You are really a miracle.
Cherry Paulson said…
Tough it out! It`s just a matter of time now.
Marion Shaw said…
Hi Diana, Well all I could think was "what a tough woman." It seems that you understand Dante's Inferno fairly well. I really hope that your health starts looking up for you.

:-) Marion
Lyn said…
Thinking of you and still praying for you Diana.
Sarah G said…
How are you doing Diana?
Anonymous said…
How are you doing? I have been checking for an update.
Anonymous said…
How are you doing, Diana? I read your story this weekend and have been wondering how you are feeling.
Anonymous said…
How are you doing, Diana? We would love an update.


Blessings,

Julie
nice blog..yes walking is the best way which you can continue..
Anonymous said…
Hope all is going well for you now. Good luck.
Ida said…
Was thinking about you today. I pray that all is well with you and your fight against cancer is going good. Let us hear from you occasionally. I know you are busy, but we DO care.
Anonymous said…
Hope everything is going ok. Missing your blogging.
Anonymous said…
Sure hope you're doing okay Diana.

Popular posts from this blog

July 2, 2016 update

Best diets for 2016

High hopes for 2016